[Interview begins at 44:30]
Again in 2008, once I first started this podcast I had two goals—that I’d have my two literary heroes, John McPhee and Thomas McGuane as friends. (They’re each passionate fly fishers.) I used to be fortunate sufficient to file a podcast with John in August of 2021, and this week’s podcast is with Tom McGuane, writer of 10 extremely regarded novels, great nonfiction books, screenplays, collections of quick tales, and what’s for my part the best e book of fly-fishing essays ever written, The Longest Silence.
Most individuals who interview Tom need to discuss his loopy days in Key West within the Seventies, fishing for tarpon with Jim Harrison, Man de la Valdène, Jimmy Buffett, and different notable characters. Nonetheless, within the podcast we discuss what he’s doing now—his fascination with small-stream trout fishing, why he would fairly wade than fish from a ship, his opinion on guides who yell at their shoppers, and methods to develop outdated gracefully and nonetheless proceed to fish with a fly rod. It was an actual honor to talk with him, and I do know you’ll take pleasure in this very particular podcast.
Within the Fly Field this week, now we have some great and thought-provoking questions and suggestions from listeners, together with:
- What’s that white rod that Pete Kutzer makes use of in your casting movies?
- Is there a written historical past of Orvis?
- What’s the finest reel lubricant, and the way ought to I preserve my cork drag floor?
- Can dumbbell eyes harm fly rods? In that case, what ought to I do to maintain flies tied with them from hitting my rod?
- Do trout eat these little black and brown stoneflies that hatch in the course of the winter and early spring?
- Are you able to clarify once I would use weighted flies vs. cut up shot vs. poly leaders when fishing nymphs?
- Are you able to evaluate the relative benefits of the 10½-foot 3-weight and the 11-foot 3-weight Blackout rod?
- I noticed folks catching fish on nymphs. I attempted precisely the identical patterns and didn’t catch something. Why?
- I’ve a reel that takes a 9-weight line. Can I get an additional spool and put it on my 7-weight rod?
- Why am I not catching something when fishing nymphs within the winter?
- Nice suggestions from a world traveler on taking your vaccination information with you, and warnings about carrying gear when touring to Mexico or New Zealand.
- What environmental cues will inform you when particular flies are hatching?
- Is it true that emerger patterns are more practical after they look messy?
- How do you clarify when trout take smaller bugs and ignore larger ones?