[Interview starts at 48:58]
My visitor this week is Steve Carew of Fulling Mill. Steve is the man who will get fly patterns from an unique pattern to these beautiful flies you see within the fly bins of your native Orvis retailer or seller. How do business flies get made? Who’re these individuals who tie flies for a dwelling? Do they really fish? How good are they? And the way do they produce such constant, high-quality flies in massive volumes with out sacrificing high quality?
Within the Fly Field, we’ve some useful ideas from listeners, in addition to some attention-grabbing questions, together with:
- An amazing tip on tips on how to shield the tip of a fly rod when carrying it totally assembled inside a car.
- How do I do know what shade midge to make use of? Are there seasons and instances when completely different colours work higher than others?
- I noticed a carp feeding however tried a dozen flies and none of them labored. How can I catch these fish?
- I fish a lake with trout, bass, pike, walleye, and perch in it. How can I goal every one in all these fish?
- I’m going to fish a lake and need to know what two fly strains I ought to take.
- Does the newer know-how Orvis makes use of in its fly rods make older rods out of date?
- I’m fishing an older fiberglass rod and misplaced a bunch of fish. Do you assume the rod is the issue?
- I fish an aqueduct with steep banks that stop a back-cast. Do you’ve any solutions on fly strains?
- A tip from a listener on gluing an aquarium thermometer to his web.
- Do you assume the occasional flip of my fins when utilizing a float tube will spook fish?
- Do you’ve any ideas for mending a dry-dropper rig with out shifting the fly?
- What’s Tom’s favourite fly to tie and favourite fly to fish?
- I bought an outdated bamboo rod. How do I discover out what line dimension it takes?
- I noticed some brook trout actively working a redd. Does that imply I ought to give up fishing that stream solely?